Google
 

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Finally!!! Official Windows Live Messenger on your Nokia N series!



Ok.. I'm truly excited when Nokia decided to launch Windows Live Messenger service officially for Nokia S60 version 3 series phone. Why? I guess it is long overdue seeing that most of Nokia N or E series phone are already running on this platform including their newest range of Communicator series.

Finally a proper MSN client (oops.. should be known as Windows Live Messenger client). There's 2 ways to get it + 1 unofficial way (I got mine through there).

  1. Nokia Nseries consumers who own the Nokia N73, N76, N80 Internet Edition, N93i, and the N95 multimedia computers are the first who can access the Windows Live services via the Download! Application on their devices.

  2. Existing users and interested consumers can visit http://www.nokia.com/windowslive to learn more.

  3. You can download the client from MSN China.

The 3rd option is my unofficial way of getting it way b4 the Windows Live Messenger service is announced. I'm sure lots of tech savvy people have already gotten their hands on this piece of chat client. From the client, I found that it is produced by Chinese company MIMM Technologies. Not too bad and it even comes with their well-known sign-in and chat request wav sound samples. But of course the hassle is to be able to understand Chinese language while navigating through Mobile MSN China's website to acquire this little Java chat client. It think this client is slight different from the 1st and 2nd option. Let me just sum up the difference by saying that the MSN China's version is the slim diet version.


The 1st and the 2nd option are both the same and are considered the full fledge version. Flash demo of the interface can be found here. This particular version have integration with your Nokia's Messenging window and you can even add your contacts (with Hotmail address) into the chat client, share image from your Gallery with your friends and even synchronizing your email with your PC (I have not tried this feature yet). After a week of using this chat client, I gotta say that I'm thinking more or less that I can survive without my laptop when I'm sipping my Caramel Machiato at my local Starbucks. A WiFi enable Nokia handset really does make a difference. No need to fear the high 3G/EDGE/GPRS data charges by the end of the month :-)

Talk about integration, this service just raise the overall value of your Nokia N/E series handset. Why? Because Nokia S60 v3 series handset have what I would call a very approchable and user friendly interface for a Symbian OS (as compared to other implementations) and right now, with integration with Windows Live Messenger, why should I still ponder between a Nokia or a Windows Mobile 6 handset. The S60 v3 series platform have quite a large collection of softwares out there and with Nokia choosing to based their E90 Communicator handset on this platform is a testament that it might be the preferred choice for all Nokia's Smartphone series in the future.

Even Nokia's N95 (so called "It's what computer have become" tagline) is based on this platform. Kudos to Nokia for coming out with this great piece of software. Maybe their tagline after all, do started to make more sense as they come out with such softwares over time for their N/E series customers. ;-)

No comments: